Thursday, February 13, 2014

Blog Post 9


Likeability

The narrator of my book is likeable. She is also one of the hero’s in the book. She prevails in extreme circumstances, has extreme courage and makes sacrifises to show humanity at its best. I think her being a hero makes her likeable. She fights for what’s right and stands up for what she believes in. She is also likeable because she is brave, smart, honest, strong, and caring.

The narrators name is Tris. Tris is a female character. Claire Messud fought that books are less literary with a likeable protagonist or narrator. She also said that with a female protagonist or narrator, the book is more woo-hoo sisterhood. So basically she is saying it can’t be taken seriously and is not very good. But in my book, that is not the case. The narrator is both likeable and female and it is a great book. I agree more with Jennifer Weiner’s argument. Jennifer Weiner fought that books with likeable protagonists and narrators can be just as good of a book and just as literary. There are plenty of good books with likeable and/or female narrators and protagonists. The major best-selling book, The Hunger Games, has a female narrator and if a book is that popular, I think it has to be a pretty good book. That proves that good books can have female narrators or protagonists. And that they can be likeable too. 2 bestselling books have likeable, female narrators/protagonists. There are also literary books with female protagonists. I think it’s really sexist for Claire Messud to say that books with female narrators/protagonists can’t be literary, great and/or taken seriously. So, I highly disagree with Claire Messusd. I think that books with either gender for a narrator or protagonist can be literary and a great book.  

I don’t think there is a connection between my books genre and the type of narrator it has. I think that with sci-fi, more specifically dystopia, that either gender can narrate the book and that they can be likeable or not. I personally think that books are better with a likeable narrator as long as there is some kind of conflict in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment