Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog Post 8


    I personally think that half-truths are okay if it’s a good story. If you thought that the book was great before you knew not all of it was true. Then why does it matter if not all of it is? Does that change the words in the book magically? No, so I think if it’s a good book, it’s a good book and the genre or truth of it should not matter. I just don’t get how that changes the book. Some people might say that they felt emotional about how the book was true. But just because some truths were bent, so it might not have happened to the author, doesn’t mean it has never happened to anyone before. Or they could feel emotional about what if it happened to someone. So what I don’t understand is how someone would stop liking a book just because not all of it was true or the truth was bent a little. I personally don’t think it matters that some memoirists bend the truth. Everybody bends the truth.  I think as a memoir the truth can be bent, unlike an autobiography. If the whole memoir wasn’t true, then I think it is wrong. The memoir Love and Consequences is all made up and I think that is wrong. It should not be considered a memoir if none of it is true; it should be put in the fiction section. But I think if the truth is bent just a little, then it should still be considered a memoir and should not change a readers point of view on the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment